The words from this song rang through my head as I was making these was "Sometimes you feel like a nut sometimes you don't... Almond joy got nuts Mounds don't..." I have always enjoyed Mounds and Almond Joys. This is yummy way to enjoy them without so much sugar and additives. I don't think you sacrifice in flavor they are delicious. You can even eat them without the chocolate on them. They taste great with or without the chocolate. These are for the time "you feel like a nut." :) I love getting nuts in every bite too.
This treat is a great alternative to the Easter candy you can buy at the store. Make them and then you will have them on hand when you want a yummy healthy treat. :)
1 C of plain almonds chopped fine
1 C unsweetened shredded coconut
2 T honey or vegan sweetener
3 T coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt *optional
1/3 C dark chocolate chips
2 tsp coconut oil
Directions makes about 12
1. In a medium sized bowl mix together almonds, coconut, honey, oil, vanilla, and *salt.
Stir together until it is all combined.
2. You could put in the fridge for 10 min to let the mixture harden a little, or just form the mixture into small balls. I made 12 of them.
3. Place them in the fridge in a covered container.
4. If you want chocolate on them melt the chips and oil in the microwave or stove on low until all melted.
5. Take the bites out of the fridge and roll in the chocolate. Place them back in the fridge in a greased covered container. The chocolate will harden quickly, and they will be ready to enjoy!
6. Keep the stored in the fridge to keep them hard in an airtight container.
*Another yummy one Raw Coconut Almond Cocoa Bites
*Also chocolate covered peanut butter oatmeal bites.