Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Making smoothies is a lot of fun because you can use your imagination coming up with the right combination. I love this smoothie because it tastes great, and you need no added sugar. That is a nice bonus.
1 C Water
1 C Ice
1 C frozen Mangoes
1 frozen banana
2 tsp chia *optional
Directions Servings 1
1. Pour all the ingredients into the blender. Pulse and blend until smooth. Serve
Sweet Potatoes are a wonderful addition to a dish they add color, nutrition and a natural sweetness to your dish. I loved what they added to this chicken dish. I think the sweet potatoes were my favorite part of the dish.
2 T olive oil
2 garlic cloves minced
1 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1/4 C chia
3 cooked chicken breast chopped
2 sweet potatoes cooked
3 C brown rice
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Heat up skillet on medium heat and add the oil. Stir in garlic and onion. Let cook together about 3-4 minutes until the onions start to soften.
2. Stir in the peppers and chia and let all of them cook together for about 3-4 minutes.
3. Toss in the chicken, sweet potatoes, brown rice, thyme, salt, and pepper. Let all of it cook together on medium low with the lid on. Stir a couple times. Let the flavors meld together for about 10 minutes. Don't over stir. It will get mushy. If you need to add a 1/4 cup of water if it needs more moisture.
4. Serve while it is warm.
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
My daughter had car trouble last night and stalled in the middle of the road. It warmed my heart to have to men come and push it and help her to start it again. There are angels among us. There are good people everywhere that are there to help in our time of need. It makes me very grateful to live in this beautiful world.
I love almond butter. It is a fun treat for me. It is fun when I make it at home. It is easy to make and tastes great. Almond butter can be used on the same things you would use peanut butter for. Enjoy!
1 C almonds
1 1/2 T chia
1 T honey (vegan version use maple syrup)
1 T coconut oil
1. Pour all the ingredients into the blender or food processor. Blend and pulse until smooth. Serve at once.
2. Store in airtight container in the fridge.
* I recently got the twister job from Blendtec. It worked so great when I was making this. I love it.
Monday, January 26, 2015
This pesto is fun the jalapeño gives it a nice kick. I love that about it. It would be great with quesadillas, crackers, vegetables, baguettes etc... Yum!
2 bell peppers red or orange
1/2 jalapeño minced
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 T vinegar
1 T chia
Directions Heat oven to 350
1. Cut peppers open and take out the seeds. Lay them face down on a cookie sheet and place in the oven. Roast for about 15 min. Then flip over to the other side and roast another 15 min. Take out of the oven place them in a bowl and cover with plastic. Let them sit for 10 min. Then peel off the skins.
2. Put peppers into blender and pulse until smooth. Then add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
3. Serve at once or store in fridge in air tight container.
4. Use on quesadillas, crackers, vegetables, baguettes etc...
Thanks to natural family for posting our muffins. :)
Friday, January 23, 2015
This is a fast and easy to make granola. No baking required. It feels like you are eating oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough. It is yummy. A great snack or a fun breakfast.
1/2 C honey
1/2 C coconut oil melted
1/2 tsp salt * optional
1 C unsweetened coconut flakes
1 C almonds chopped
1/2 C chia
4 C old fashioned oatmeal
1/2 tsp almond extract *optional
1/2 C Chopped dark chocolate chips (* or raisins)
1. Pour all the ingredients into a mixer except the chips. Mix until combined.
2. Pour in the chips and stir until just combined. Eat immediately or store in an airtight container to eat later.
Thursday, January 22, 2015
2 apples chopped
4 celery stalks chopped
1/4 C dried cherries or cranberries
juice from 2 oranges
1 T chia
2 T honey for vegan use another sweetner.
garnish with additional cherries
Directions serves 4
1. Put apples, celery, and cherries in a bowl.
2. Pour the juice evenly over the fruit. Stir to mix.
3. Sprinkle the chia on top. Drizzle the honey on top. Toss until all mixed.
4. Garnish with more dried fruit if desired.