Monday, April 7, 2014

Quinoa Buckwheat Oatmeal Hot Cereal





It was a really nice weekend with my family. It brings me a lot of joy having my family gathered around me. It is my birthday week so my family made me a delicious dinner yesterday. I loved seeing them in the kitchen all working together. Family times are the best.

Today looks like a beautiful Spring day. Hooray! I love the sunshine and blue sky. It is going to be a great week. Happy Monday!

I have determined that hot cereal is one of my favorite breakfasts. I love the way I feel after eating it and I love the way it tastes. It is a great way to start your day. Here is one that I made yesterday. My family enjoyed it yesterday with me. My daughter even came back for seconds. 



Ingredients
1 C toasted quinoa (well rinsed)
1/2 C buckwheat
1/2 C old fashioned oatmeal
2 C water
1 C vanilla unsweetened almond milk
2 T honey (or sweetener of choice)
1 T coconut oil
Toppings nutmeg and cinnamon* to taste
Cut up fruit I used peaches
Additional almond milk for on top

Directions serves about 4
1. In a medium saucepan heat up quinoa and let it toast for a few minutes on med heat. Stirring it frequently.
2. Then add the buckwheat, oatmeal, water, milk, honey, and oil. Let the mixture come to a boil and then let it boil a couple minutes. Turn  down to low and cover. Let it cook for around 20 minutes. Stir it occasionally. Add additional water if needed.
3. When it gets to your desired consistency ( I like to leave some texture to mine) take off the heat and scoop  into bowls.
4. Sprinkle on the spices and put on the cut up fruit if desired. I like cutting up the peaches in small bites so I get them in every mouthful. :) Pour on some extra milk if desired.
5. Leftovers can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for a couple of days. Enjoy!

* I like to grate whole nutmeg and cinnamon sticks. It tastes a lot fresher.






No comments:

Post a Comment