2 C whole grain flour (I used spelt with a little kamut)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 C buttermilk or kefir
2 T grape seed oil or coconut oil
1 T vanilla * optional
1 T honey
2 egg whites
toppings fruit, yogurt etc...
1. In a bowl pour in all the measured dry ingredients. Whisk until all combined.
2. Then stir in the milk, 1 egg, oil, vanilla, and honey. Set aside for 5 to 10 min to let it grow a little.
3. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites till they are stiff and have a glossy look.
4. Fold the egg whites into the waffle mixture until combined.
5. Heat waffle iron till nice and hot. Spray or brush the iron with oil. Pour in waffle mixture. Cook until the waffles are golden and crisp. They came out nice and crisp. Serve immediately you will get the best results.
* You could put them in the oven on a cookie sheet. Have the oven set on a low heat to keep them warm until serving.