Monday, February 10, 2014
Whole Grain French Toast with Honey Buttermilk Syrup
My husband and I had a nice week in the sun to celebrate our 31 years of marriage. It felt really nice to put on summer clothes and be warm. I love the ocean and sun. It is weird to tell people that and they aren't even 31 years old yet. We are thrilled to be married and enjoy having fun together. My son was excited to have me come home and make him breakfast yesterday. That has always been one of the ways to my boy's heart.
I made him whole grain french toast. He gobbled it up. It is wonderful to start the day off right with a great breakfast. Always remember when you are buying whole grain bread to make sure it says whole at the beginning of the ingredients. If it doesn't chances are you aren't getting anything but white flour.
1/2 C almond milk
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1 tsp vanilla
8 slices of wholegrain bread
3 T butter
1/2 C honey
1/2 C buttermilk *(1/2 C milk 2 tsp vinegar)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp almond extract * optional (but so good!)
1. Head up griddle to 350 degrees.
2. Beat eggs, and then add milk, spices, and vanilla.
3. Dip bread and drain off excess mixture on the side of the bowl.
4. Heat up griddle. Spray with non-stick oil. Place french toast on the griddle and cook on both sides
5. While the french toast is cooking, in a separate saucepan on medium low heat, pour in butter, buttermilk, and honey. Let the mixture come to a boil for 2 minutes. Take off the heat. Stir in baking soda, vanilla, and almond extract. Serve over french toast.