Friday, May 2, 2014

Patriotic Parfaits



 So May is here. My son Derek's birthday is tomorrow. Derek thinks May is the best month of the year  because of the weather. When I think of May, I think of the end of the school year. I also think about Veteran's Day and the other holidays coming up.

I have been thinking about my feelings on patriotism this last week. Wherever you live, I hope that you are grateful for the place you are living. I loved the unity that came after 9/11. I would see signs of people saying things like, "I love America" etc.. The tragedy was horrific, but the unity was sweet. We can make a difference and one person can have an effect on others.

My parents are great examples of honoring their country. They have a flag pole with a flag waving in front of their house. My Mom always put up a flag for patriotic holidays even before she had a flag pole. I love seeing flags waving and will often mention to my children how pretty they look. I love the red, white, and blue colors. My Dad was a pilot in the Air Force and loved that experience. They both have always sung songs about our country with vigor. Their influence has had a great effect on me.

So I am going to give you a challenge this month and hopefully it will carry on throughout the year: find some way to show appreciation for your country and  those who work in our military. Encourage others to as well. We can make a difference. We need to pull together. I love America! Have a great weekend.



Granola recipe 
Jeanie's Granola

Mix together in large bowl:

12 c. rolled oats
3 c. chipped coconut, unsweetened
2 c. almonds chopped in food processor2 c. sunflower seeds1/2 c. flax seeds ground (they also could be whole, but you get more health benefits from ground)1/2 tsp. sea salt1 T. cinnamon

Mix well in seperate bowl:
1/2 c. coconut oil or 1/2 c. olive oil
3/4 c. honey or (The honey makes it clump together well.)
Add 2 tsp. vanilla or 1 tsp. maple syrup or 1 tsp. almond extract. Pour over top of oatmeal mixture and stir through. Pour on to cookie sheets. Spread out. Bake 25 min at 300. I stir it about every 10 min.


Turn off oven and leave 3 hours or leave overnight. (I have done both leaving it overnight and eating right after the cooking time. Both work! Both ways are yummy!)

 Ingredients

2 C Granola
2 C Plain Greek yogurt with honey added or vanilla
2 C Cut up strawberries 
2 C blueberries

Directions:

Layer The ingredients starting with the granola first and end with granola and blueberries on top for garnish. Enjoy a patriotic treat. :)


This is my Mom, (who is amazing) receiving a flag at my Dads graveside service. It is hard to not get choked up when I look at it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment