Friday, May 15, 2015
Broccoli Cauliflower Soup with turmeric (dairy and gluten free)
So I have been learning the benefits of turmeric. One of the benefits is it can help in preventing cancer. It helps fight inflammation too. The ideal is to eat 1/2 tsp a day of it. When I was making this soup the other day I decided it would make a great addition and it did. You can also add turmeric to salad dressing, cooked or raw vegetables, pastas, sprinkle on your salad etc..
This soup incorporates two great vegetables into one great soup. Ideal for lunch or dinner. What are you doing fun for the weekend? I get to go watch my grandson sing in his kindergarten program. He said he would sing all the songs except the one called "friendship". He said "That one is ridiculous." Ha ha! I love being a grandma.
4 C washed cauliflower cut into bite size pieces
4 C washed broccoli cut into bite size pieces
3 T olive oil
1 tsp salt
4 T olive oil
1 chopped onion
5 cloves of garlic minced
3 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 C water
1 C broth (I used bone broth, vegetable for vegan)
4 C cashew milk or other milk
Directions Serves 6
1. Heat oven to 425. Place cauliflower and broccoli on cookie sheet drizzle on the oil and sprinkle on the salt. Place in oven. Cook until lightly brown and tender about 30 min.
2. In a stock pot on the stove heat to medium heat. Pour in the oil and let it heat up.
3. Stir in the onion and let cook a few minutes to soften. Then stir in garlic and turmeric. Cook until you start to smell the garlic.
4. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Let the soup heat up all together for a few minutes to incorporate all the flavors.
5. Then blend 1/2 the soup at a time until all smooth and creamy.
6. Return the soup back to the stove and let cook on medium low another 10 min.
7. Serve warm.
(I sprinkled chili powder on top and swirled it with a knife)