Monday, December 29, 2014
We have enjoyed some snow. It has been a mild winter here. We were in need of snow. It was the perfect amount of snow for Christmas it made everything so pretty and white. It was fun to stay cozy in our warm home.
This is a wonderful soup that will keep you nice and warm in the winter. It is based on a soup that was popular with army officers in India at the beginning of the century.
3 T olive oil
1 large onion chopped
3 carrots chopped
4 celery stalks chopped
1 large apple peeled and cored and chopped up
2 T whole grain flour
1/4 C chia *Optional
2 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
5 1/2 C water
1 14.5 can of whole tomatoes
2 C brown rice cooked
garnish with plain yogurt if desired
1. Heat oil in large pot add onion, carrots, celery, and apple. Stir and let soften and brown slightly.
2. Stir in flour, for a minute. Then stir in chia*, curry, salt, and thyme.
3. Then stir in water and bring it to a boil. Then stir in the tomatoes. Turn down the heat and let cook on low with the lid on. Le simmer about 30 min.
4. Pour into blender or food processor and blend and pulse until smooth.
5. Return to the pot and stir in the rice and heat until all warm.
6. Serve hot. You can put on a dollop of plain yogurt on top if desired.