Monday, December 22, 2014
Layered Overnight Green Salad (healthier)
I have been wanting to make this for a while for my family. My Mom used to make this and I always got excited when you did. The great thing is you can make it ahead so you don't have to be making it at the last minute. It makes it very nice. I made it healthier. Not adding the mayo to it either and added honey mustard dressing at the end. It was a nice twist. Great for holiday gatherings.
2 C Romain lettuce washed cut in bite size pieces
2 C Spinach washed
2 C celery chopped
1 bunch green onions chopped
1 lb of frozen green peas
5 oz of bacon bits
8 hard boiled eggs chopped up
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
garnish with 1 C shredded cheese and 1/2 C chopped green onions if desired
1 1/ 2 C Plain yogurt
4 T honey
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Honey Mustard Dressing
6 T olive oil
2 T cider vinegar
1 T mustard
3 T honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
Blend until all creamy.
1. In a large bowl put in Romain lettuce evenly on the bottom.
2. Next spread the spinach on top evenly.
3. Next the celery evenly distributed.
4. Green onions come next put evenly over the celery
5. Then pour the peas evenly on top of the onions.
6. Sprinkle the bacon over the top of the peas.
7. Then the chopped up eggs
8. Spread the cheese on top evenly.
9. In a small bowl mix up the dressing. The yogurt, honey, and garlic.
10. Spread the dressing on top of the cheese. Try to seal the edges.
11. You can garnish with the cheese and green onions.
12. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Put in fridge overnight. (We ate in 8 hours and that worked great. )
13. If desired you can drizzle on the honey mustard dressing before serving for added flavor. Yum! We love honey mustard at our house.