Friday, November 28, 2014

Turkey Quinoa Soup





Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. We have much to be thankful for. It was wonderful to have all of our family with us except our son and his sweet wife. We missed them. It was neat to look around the table and see the sweet people that I love. My life revolves around my family. They bring me my greatest joy. I think we can have Thanksgiving every day being grateful for all of our blessings.

So after dinner I was cutting the turkey off the bone and debating if I should use the bones to make soup. Britney encouraged me so I did. It made the house smell so good while it was cooking on the stove. It just isn't' the same smell when you pour soup out of a can. If you don't have the carcass you can make it with just chopped up turkey.

This is a wonderful soup that you could enjoy for lunch or dinner. Yum!



Ingredients

1 turkey carcass *Optional
water to cover it
4 C cooked chopped up turkey (if you don't have the carcass)
8 C water
1 C quinoa washed
3/4 C chia *optional (nice thickener and great source of protein)
1 C carrots chopped
1 C celery chopped
1 onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp pepper
additional salt and pepper to taste if needed




Directions  serves 8

1. In a large pot place car carcass and water to cover it. Place on low heat and let it cook for a couple hours. The meat will fall off the bone.
2. Take pot off the stove and strain through the water to remove the fat, and bones.
3. Place broth back on the stove. Add water to make a total of 8 cups. If you don't have turkey carcass add chopped turkey and water together instead and cook together for 20 minutes.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and let cook at least another 30 min. to let the vegetables soften and the quinoa to cook. Add additional water if it gets too thick.
5. Serve in soup bowls.










No comments:

Post a Comment