|Quinoa Vegetable Soup|
The pretty blue dishes in the picture were my sisters that I inherited many years ago. I love using them and thinking of her. She is a dear sister that I look forward to seeing again some day. It is fun to have keepsakes that remind of those we love.
This is some delicious soup that hit the spot right on. I had some for lunch and it made me feel so good. I felt warmed up from my head to my toes. It was wonderful to incorporate so many vegetables into it and come up with a fantastic flavor. One bite and you will be hooked. I had it made in about and hour.
4 T olive oil
1 white onion sliced in thin slices
3 cloves of garlic minced
4 stalks of celery chopped up
6 Roma tomatoes chopped up
1 green pepper deseeded chopped up
1 red pepper deseeded chopped up
1 jalapeño diced up
3 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric (so good for you)
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 C red quinoa rinsed off well
8 C water
1. In a large pot on the stove. Heat up pot on medium and pour in oil, onion and garlic. Stir and cook until the onions become softened.
2. Then stir in celery, tomatoes, peppers, jalapeño, salt, cumin, turmeric, and pepper. Cook on medium heat and let the vegetables soften a few minutes.
3. Stir in the quinoa and keep stirring it to let it get toasted while cooking the vegetables. Cook about 5 min. Continue to stir during the 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the water. Turn up the water a little and let it come to a boil. Let it boil a couple minutes.
5. Turn down the heat and let it cook on low for about 20-25 min. covered.
6. Take the pot off the stove and pour 1/2 of mixture into the blender. Blend a couple minutes. I left a little texture to it. I like seeing the quinoa in the soup after blending. Blend the other half of the soup.
7. Then serve in bowls nice and hot. Yum!
8. Put leftovers in the fridge in airtight container. You could also freeze in an air tight container.