Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Caramel Apple Cake (Whole Grain)
I really love these delicious whole grain cakes. This is a great season to make it with the apples that are in season. It is low in sugar and whole grain. It is healthy enough to eat for breakfast. This would also be wonderful for a Fall gathering with friends or family. YUM!
2 C whole grain flour (I used spelt flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 C coconut oil
1/2 C honey
3/4 C rice milk or milk of your choosing.
1 apple, grated
1 C coconut milk full fat
5 T honey
2 T coconut oil
Directions (serves 9)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sized bowl pour in flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Stir with a wire whisk until all combined.
2. In a separate bowl pour oil, honey,eggs, and milk. Blend with a wire whisk for a couple of minutes.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture. Stir until just combined.
4. Fold in the grated apples until all combined.
5. Pour into greased squared pan. Place in heated oven.
6. While the cake is baking make caramel sauce.
7. Pour milk, honey and oil into a small sauce pan on medium heat. Let it come to a boil while stirring. Turn down the heat to medium low and continue to thicken until reaches about 180 degrees. It should be a light tan color. It should be thick but still runny. Take off the heat.
8. Bake about 35 min. Depending when toothpick comes out clean and the cake pops back up when slightly touched with one finger. Cool on wire rack.
9. Cut up cake and serve on plates pour sauce on to each piece of cake. Serve warm.
*You could also pour the carmel on to the cake before cutting it up.