I had some really really over ripe bananas today. My two children that were here said I should make them into banana bread. I thought that was a great idea. It is rainy here today. It felt like a great day to bake. I was very happy how it turned out. Reducing the banana liquid adds a lot of flavor to the bread. You don't need a lot of other sweetener. It was moist and delicious. This could be made into a bread or cake. Yum!
1/2 C melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C honey
2 C spelt or whole grain flour of your choice
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1. Heat oven to 350. Grease pan with non stick oil.
2. Peel all the bananas place in microwave safe dish. Cover with plastic and poke a few wholes to vent. Place in microwave for 5 min on high. Take out and put bananas in a strainer over a bowl. Stir and mash the bananas to get out the liquid. It should be about 1/2 to 3/4 C in the bowl. I got a 3/4 C. Then pour liquid in a small saucepan on the stove. Turn on to med heat. Reduce until it cooks down to 1/4 C of liquid. The goal is to have a concentrated liquid, that will add a lot of flavor to the bread or cake. :)
3. Stir the 1/4 C liquid to bananas. Mash the bananas till they are all mashed. You could use a masher. I used the back of a plastic spoon. Then add honey ,eggs, oil, and vanilla. Beat together, and set aside.
4. In another bowl whisk the flour, salt and baking soda.
5. Stir the flour mixture into banana mixture until just combined.
6. Pour into greased loaf pan or square stoneware pan. 30-45 min. Till toothpick comes out clean.
8. I rubbed a little coconut oil on top when it came out of the oven. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 min. Then remove from pan and serve.