Monday, March 31, 2014

Spelt Waffle Parfaits



Today I enjoyed a wonderful morning walk with my wonderful mother. I sure do love her. She is an amazing influence in my life. That teaches me from example and love. I will forever be grateful for her and the the way she has blessed me and my family. It was wonderful to see the signs of Spring coming. We saw some beautiful daffodils and new growth on trees. It is wonderful to see the world waking up. :) Happy Spring!

 I just spent a wonderful vacation in Mexico. The sunshine, water and blue sky were heavenly. It was a treat to have all that time with my husband. Life is sweet.

This is a fun way to serve your waffles. They could be a nice breakfast, brunch or dessert. Yum! I just finished eating one of them, and it tasted really good. You can decide what kind of fruit you want as your topping. You could even have make your own parfaits. There are a lot of fun options.

Ingredients

Spelt waffles
2 C spelt flour or whole grain flour
2 T cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
1/4 C coconut oil (Melted)
1 3/4 kefir or yogurt or buttermilk
2 T honey 
1 tsp lemon juice * optional
1 tsp lemon zest * optional
2 T cream tarter

Topping
plain yogurt
fruit: blueberries and bananas or fruit of your choosing

Directions:  makes about 8 waffles

1. In a medium size bowl mix flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda with a wire whisk. Set aside.



2. Separate the eggs in two separate bowls. Into the egg yolks stir in the oil, kefir, honey, * lemon juice and *zest. Stir into the flour mixture until all moistened.



3. Beat the egg whites adding the cream of tarter till stiff peaks. Fold into the flour mixture. Set aside. (I have found if I let it sit 5 to 10 min. It grow and makes better waffles and pancakes



4. Bake the waffles in a preheated waffle iron. ( I wanted them a little more crispy since I was adding them to the  yogurt.) Take out and let cool. Cut into small squares. You could freeze leftover waffles in zip locks.



5. Place a few of the cut up waffles in the bottom of the parfait dish. 

6. In a small bowl mix yogurt and jam together. Spoon some on top of the  cut up waffles. 

7. Put a few banana slices and some blueberries on top. Then top with some more cut up waffles. Then some yogurt on top and you could end with a little fruit on top. Enjoy!

*Seve right away so the waffles don't get soggy.








2 comments: