Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Strawberry Sauce on Spelt Waffles

It is that wonderful time of the year to start eating strawberries again. I love strawberries. I used frozen strawberries today. If you don't have fresh the frozen ones worked great. It was nice to put something on the waffles that gave it a nice flavor and taste and it had very little sweetener in it. I think cut up bananas would have tasted great too. Bring on spring I am ready! :) 

Ingredients: Made 8 waffles
waffles:
2 C spelt flour or whole grain flour
2 T cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
1/4 C coconut oil (Melted)
1 3/4 kefir or yogurt or buttermilk
2 T honey
1 tsp lemon juice * optional
1 tsp lemon zest * optional
2 T cream tarter

strawberry sauce:
3 C strawberries (I used frozen)
1/4 to 1/2 water
3 T honey
1 tsp lemon

Directions:
1. In a medium size bowl mix flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda with a wire whisk. Set aside

2. Separate the eggs in two separate bowls. Into the egg yolks stir in the oil, kefir, honey, * lemon juice and *zest. Stir into the flour mixture until all moistened.


3. Beat the egg whites adding the cream of tarter till stiff peaks. Fold into the flour mixture. Set aside. (I have found if I let it sit 5 to 10 min. It less it grow and makes better waffles and pancakes)

4. In the meantime. On med heat put in strawberries, water,  honey, and lemon. Stir until starts to boil. Turn down heat a little. I mashed the strawberries a little. I still wanted to have texture. Stir until it gets to your desired thickness.

5. Bake the waffles in a preheated waffle iron. Take out and serve while warm with the hot sauce. Add some bananas if desired. :)  



No comments:

Post a Comment