Friday, January 3, 2014

Delicious Mexican Brown Rice


Love this smile





Mexican Brown Rice

The world would be a really sad place without children. I saw this picture of grandson from Christmas and it put a smile on my face. When I am out and about and smile at complete strangers they will smile back. I know it makes my day better and hopefully there's too. It is such a simple act but something we all can do. I love children's smiles and their enthusiasm. I know I could benefit from them rubbing off on me more. I love it when I ask my grandson about preschool. I will say, "How was preschool ? His response every time is. "It was great. It is always great! " Love It! We can make the world a better place one person at a time.  

This was part of our Mexican fiesta on New Years Day. It was a delicious way to enjoy brown rice. It was a great addition to our fajitas. The turmeric in it gives it a nice golden color along with great health benefits. Another great way to enjoy a healthy 2014.

Ingredients:
2 T olive oil
1 onion diced
5 cloves garlic minced
3 C Brown rice
6 C water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chicken seasoning
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp turmeric (gives it a pretty golden color)
1 tsp cumin
1 10oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes

Directions
1. In a large pot heat up the oil on medium heat. Stir in the onions and the garlic. Cook until lightly browned.
2. Stir in the rice and water. Then stir in the salt, chicken seasoning, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, and tomatoes. Let it come to a boil. Let it boil for a couple minutes.  Turn down to medium heat and cook until the rice is soft and the liquid is absorbed.  It should take about 45 to 60 minutes. If you have a pressure cooker it will take about 20 minutes.
3. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment