Monday, October 28, 2013

Whole Grain Peanut Butter Texas Sheet Cake

Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
Today Is my daughters 20th Birthday. She is our 6th child. It is crazy to have your 6th child already be 20. She is a beautiful  young lady inside and out. The years are flying by. I remember 20 years ago when I had her. The years fly by don't they. She is accomplishing great things. I know this will be a great year for her. I feel lucky to be her Mom. :) Below is a recent picture of my sweet family. They are all growing up right before my eyes. Life is very good. I love being a wife and mother.
My Sweet Family





 Yesterday I made Peanut butter Texas sheet cake. I had seen this recipe and thought it would be fun to make it in a healthier version. So below is what I came up with. You can't lose when you make a dessert with peanut butter. It was delicious.

Ingredients
2 C Spelt flour or Whole grain  (or you could have 1 cup of the 2 Cups of flour be white flour.) 
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 C coconut oil or you could use butter
1 C honey
1 C water
1/4 C  natural peanut butter
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C buttermilk or 1/2 C regular milk & 1/2 T vinegar let it sit a few minutes

frosting
1/4 C coconut oil or butter
2 T natural peanut butter
1/4 C milk
2 C powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Directions  Heat oven to 350

1. Sift flour, salt, and soda together. Set aside in a bowl.
2. In a sauce pan on medium heat put in oil, honey, water and peanut butter. Stir and let it come to a boil and then take it off the heat.
3. In the sauce pan stir in the eggs, vanilla and milk. Then stir in the dry mixture until just combined.  
4. Grease a jelly roll pan or put on parchment paper and then grease it.
5. Pour mixture into pan and cook in heated oven for 15 to 20 min.
6. While the cake is cooking make the frosting.
7. In a medium saucepan on medium heat pour in oil, peanut butter and milk. Heat until it comes to a boil. Take it off the heat.
8. Stir in the sugar and vanilla. Until it is all blended and nice and creamy.
9. When the cake comes out of the oven spread on while it is warm. Enjoy!    

4 comments:

  1. So if you are using white flour, you only 1/2 cup but if you are using spelt or whole grain you need 2 cups? Just want to clarify. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that was confusing. You could use 1/2 whole grain and 1/2 white flour. You could also just use white flour. :)

      Delete
  2. Cherie and Britney,

    I just saw your book on Walmart.com and I want to order it!!! I just have to tell you that I love the cover. Really professional and eye appealing! I would like to try cooking with more grains so I will have to get your book. This is my first time on your blog too (finally!) It looks really fun. I like to cook and try new recipes and I love desserts so this Texas Sheet Cake is now on my must try list! Love the family picture too! You guys are awesome. Thanks for sharing your talents with the rest of us and good luck with your book and blog ventures!

    Amber Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amber! That is such a sweet comment! We are really excited about the book coming out. The sheet cake was delicious! Good luck!

      Delete