Friday, October 25, 2013

Wholegrain Pumpkin Cake or Bread (low sugar)

Pumpkin Cake or Bread

Halloween is coming up fast. This month has flown by for me. If you read our blog very often you know that I am a big fan of pumpkin. It has such a wonderful flavor. I love all the spices that go into pumpkin treats. I don't just eat them in the Fall. I love them all year. I was interested to learn that heating up pumpkin with the spices before you mix it in with the other ingredients can make the pumpkin taste less tinny and a fresher pumpkin taste. I put that to the test with this pumpkin and really liked it. This recipe could be used as a bread or cake. I had a pumpkin cake mold and so I thought it would be fun to use it. I also cut down the oil and the sugar from the original recipe. It tasted great. It was a wonderful treat for my family.

Ingredients (I doubled this recipe for this big cake. This recipe makes two loaves)


15 0z can of pumpkin (Cook till equals out to 1 1/2 C after heating it)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C honey
1/4 C coconut oil
1/4 C buttermilk
3 eggs
2 C spelt flour or whole grain flour of your choice
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking sodaoptional* powdered sugar and water drizzled on top

Directions  Heat oven to 350


1. Place on stove a large pot. Turn to medium heat. Pour in pumpkin and spices and stir. Helping to reduce the water out of the pumpkin. It should take about 3-5 min.
2. Take off the heat. You can mix the rest of ingredients into the pot. Stir in the honey, oil. and milk. Stir until blended.
3. Stir in the eggs one at a time. Blend well.
4. Pour in the dry ingredients. Stir just until all blended. Make sure all of it gets mixed in at the bottom. 5. Pour the batter into a greased pan. This recipe will make 2 loaves.
6. Place in hot oven. Bake 40- 50 min. Toothpick will come out with only a few crumbs on it when done. Take out of the pan or pans and let cool. 
7. Optional* You can mix about 1/2 C powdered sugar and a couple tablespoons of water until it gets to the desired consistency. Drizzle over the top. Serve. (I love eating it warm) Happy Halloween!     
    



No comments:

Post a Comment