Monday, October 21, 2013
Tasty Vegetarian Black Bean and Brown Rice Chili
Recipe Redux is here again, and this month we are posting about recipes that are easy to make in a slow cooker that don't include casseroles. Isn't that perfect? This time of year always makes me want the kinds of recipes that heat all day long in my kitchen, making it smell delicious way before dinner ever starts.
It is that time of year that we enjoy a nice warm dinner. My family has enjoyed eating chili like this that you can be creative and add your favorite toppings. This had a nice combination of spices. It an easy recipe to assemble together. I loved all the bright colors in it and it was delicious. This is a chili you could freeze too.
3 T grapeseed oil or olive oil
1 yellow onion diced
1 large red pepper or green chopped
6 garlic cloves
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2- 15oz black beans
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles undrained
2 C of vegetable broth or water
1 tsp honey
1 to 1 1/2 C cooked brown rice
juice from fresh lime
1 avocado diced
1/2 C chopped cilantro
1 to 2 diced tomatoes
* other optional toppings cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips
Directions (Serves 6)
1. Heat oil in skillet. Throw in the onion, peppers and garlic cook and stir about 5 min or until softened. Pour into crock pot
2. Stir in the beans and spices, broth, tomatoes and honey. Turn up to medium heat. Let it cook for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then turn down to low until almost ready to serve.
3. Right before serving stir in riceand let it heat all the way trhough for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the lime juice and serve. Top with avocado, cilantro and tomatoes. (You can also add addiontal toppings. Enjoy!