Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Healthy Homemade Cooked Apples (low sugar)

Delicious Apples



Amazing Chopper

Ultra Gel
This year we had a bumper crop of apples on our apple tree. So I needed to find a yummy way to use them. I am not a big fan of big chunks of cooked apples. So I came up with a way to chop up the apples in uniform small pieces. With this amazing chopper I love it. It makes chopping a breeze and everything looks cut so uniform. Then when I cooked them I just cooked them enough to soften them but, still be firm. I kept the honey low so it is only a little over a teaspoon per cup. So they still have the fresh taste of apples. Then I put them in the freezer. You could also can them if you wanted. I will enjoy eating them just the way they are or in or on waffles, pancakes, muffins, cookies, and on top of gingerbread, pumpkin cake etc... the list goes on and on. I am so excited to find a way to use the apples that I really like. Ultra gel really helped as a nice thickener. You can add to thicken things when they are hot or cold. It is a great produce. If you don't have it, then you could just use cornstarch.  

Ingredients
12 C chopped apples (I left the peels on)
1 C water
1 C honey
1 T apple spice
4-5 T ultra gel or you could use cornstarch
1 T lemon juice

Directions
1. Put pot on stove turn to medium heat. Pour apples into pot stir in the water, honey, and spices. Heat for a about 5 min. stirring often.
2. Stir in ultra gel into the apples. Cook apples to the desired the desired texture you want the apples. (I liked keeping them slightly Firm.) Let the mixture thicken up.
3. Take off the heat stir in the lemon juice. Let the apples cool.
4. Pour into zip lock bags and seal or freezer containers and put in the freezer. Delish!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment