Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Maple Almond Whole Grain Granola




We just celebrated my oldest grandsons birthday yesterday. As I watched him enjoy his party last night. it was a delight. It reminded me again why we are suppose to be like little children. He was so enthusiastic and appreciative of everything he received. That is something I could improve on. I love his smile that was captured in this picture. It is a joy to be a parent as well as a grandparent. My amazing husband and I are enjoying this time of our lives. 

It seemed liked it was that time of year to make granola. It is fun to make granola all year. I had not made it for a while. I always like to try new versions. I added some extra grains to increase the nutrition. It added some new textures.

Ingredients:
4 C old fashioned oatmeal
*1/2 C whole grains Optional (I added 1/4 c of teff and 1/4 C amaranth)
1/2 C unsweetened coconut
1 C chopped almonds
3 T coconut oil
4 T honey
4 T maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1 pinch of salt
3/4 C raisins or other dried fruit

Directions:
1. Mix first 4 ingredients together in a bowl and pour on to cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 275 for 10 min to toast.
2. In the meantime stir on low heat oil, honey, syrup, vanilla, almond extract, and salt. Take off heat when combined.
3. Take the cookie sheet out of the oven drizzle the honey mixture over the oatmeal. Stir until all covered.  Place back in oven and bake 25 to 30 min. Stir often. Bake till slightly golden.
4. Stir in raisins and let cool. Store in airtight container.

1 comment: