Monday, July 30, 2012

Purple People Eater (Blackberry Banana) Muffins



One of my sisters used to sing a song about a Purple People Eater when she was in elementary school, and that's exactly what I thought of when I started mixing the blackberries in batter and it turned this deep purple/blue color that I haven't seen in muffins before. So that is their name.


It was my son's idea to add the blackberries to our bananas. It was a bit of guesswork in how to put the recipe together, but they turned out really good, and the combination of banana and blackberry is delicious.

We have an amazing batch of blackberries in our yard this year. I think we only have about two plants, but they have exploded this year with gorgeous berries as big as my thumb. You can see some of them in the picture. I wish I knew how we got them so large, because I want to make my raspberries turn out just like that.


Ingredients

1 1/2 C whole grain flour ( I used spelt)
1/2 C quick cooking oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C brown sugar
1 C bananas (about 2)
1 C blackberries
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C coconut oil


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.

3. In a separate, smaller bowl, mash bananas and blackberries.

4. Add the fruit, eggs, vanilla, and oil to the dry mixture, stirring until just combined.

5. Fill greased muffin tins and place in oven. Cook for 12 1/2 minutes for regular-sized muffins and 7 minutes for mini muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment