Monday, January 9, 2012

Lime Chicken Enchiladas with Brown Chili Rice

I like enchiladas just about any way they are made. This was a new variation that I tired yesterday. I substituted cashew cream for the cream to have a healthier fat. Either way would be great. I went all out making homemade tortillas and homemade enchilada sauce too. I forgot to make guacamole with it. That would have been a wonderful addition. I even had ripe avocados. The enchiladas and rice made a really nice lunch today. :)
Ready to dive in. It tasted great!

Ingredients:
2-3 cooked shredded chicken breasts (till nice and tender where they fall apart)
1/4 C honey
1 T chili powder
2-3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 C lime juice
1 dozen flour tortillas or homemade tortillas
2 C of shredded cheese Monterey jack * optional I left it off this time
2 C green enchilada sauce this is the recipe I used*
1 C heavy cream (cashew cream)
Directions:
1. Mix honey, chili powder, garlic and chicken together in a bowl cover with plastic. Set aside for about 30 min.

2. Pour 3/4 C of enchilada sauce in greased 9x13 inch pan.

3. Fill the tortillas up with chicken and cheese and roll up and put in pan. Continue the same process with the rest of the tortillas.

4.Mix the remaining enchilada sauce, cream or cashew cream, and any remaining marinade together. Pour the sauce on top of the enchiladas, and sprinkle with cheese if desired. Bake at 350 for 30 min.


Brown Chili Rice:

2 C Brown rice cooked
2 T olive or grape seed oil
1 onion chopped up in small pieces
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 tsp chili powder
14 oz diced tomatoes with green chili's
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 jalapeno pepper* optional seeded and minced into small pieces
1/4 to 1/2 C cilantro chopped up

1. In a skillet fry oil and onion until tender about 5 min on medium heat. Then stir in the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.

2. Stir in the chili powder, tomatoes, oregano. jalapeno* Cook for 5 more min on medium low. Then sit in the cooked rice. Add salt and pepper to taste preference. Heat until warm. Garnish with cilantro. Serve (I loved mixing the enchilada and the rice together as I ate them.

*Green enchilada sauce: I just fried the chili and tomatillos in in frying pan till brown. I didn't take the skin off the tomatillos and I threw them into the blender. I skipped the oven part.

No comments:

Post a Comment