Friday, July 2, 2010

wholegrain low gluten tortillas

My friend Jeanie told me about making tortillas at home. I got excited about it because I have been disappointed by the taste, the price, and the ingredients in the so-called "healthy" ones. So I bought an All pro electric tortilla maker and tried it out. It took a few attempts :( but practice paid off. My family was pleased with the outcome this time. It tasted good and was healthy as well. These were even low gluten. I am not an expert, but I am having fun. I have new respect for the ladies that make them at Cafe Rio. :) Thanks, Jeanie!

2 C. whole grain flour (I ground 5 c spelt 2 c kamut 1 c brown rice and 1 c. oat groats) or Wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 T olive oil
1 C. warm water

1. Mix all the dry ingredients together, in medium bowl.

2. Add oil and water. Mix till combined. Knead lightly. I put oil on my hands and added a little bit of flour.

3. I let it sit in the bowl for 30 min.

4. Form into walnut size balls. I put oil on my hands again, and rubbed it on the ball. The thing that made the difference today was keeping the dough really moist. Roll out and bake on a griddle or pan or a tortilla maker. Everyone likes their tortillas a little different. Be patient with it. Fill them with your favorite fillings. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment