Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pumpkin-Apple Bread



I decided to try something new today. :) I have been a rut using some of the same grains. So today I used soft wheat. ( I had got it a while back and never used it. Not high in gluten) I also tried out buckwheat flour. I was happy with how they performed. :) It doesn't have to be fall to use pumpkin. I love pumpkin bread!

2 C Buckwheat flour or Wheat
2 C Soft Whole Wheat or Hard Wheat
1/2 C Sugar (I Used Sucanat It was not sweet )
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin spice
2 eggs
1 C buttermilk (I used reg, milk and added 2 Tbsp. of vinegar. Let it set while I got flour mixed)
2 apples cored and grated
1 C pumpkin
powdered sugar (to dust loaf with)

1. Heat oven to 350. Grease 2 9x5 pans.

2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

3. Beat wet ingredients together add to dry mixture. Mix just until moistened. Do not over mix. (I pulsed the chopped apples and milk in the blender till the apple was in small pieces. It was a quicker process, then grating the apple : )

4. Pour into pan. Bake until toothpick comes out clean. Around 1 hour.

5. Cool on cooling rack. Dust with powdered sugar.

6. I think these quick breads tasted the best the 2ND day. :) My daughter said a great addition would be 1 C. Dark Chocolate chips. I agree with her. I will try that next time. You could use a cream cheese spread too. The texture was wonderful! No fat or oil in it. except the fat in the milk.

* I got the Soft White Wheat as a healthy alternative to white flour. I am happy so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment