Today I walked by a can of artichoke hearts at the store, and got inspired to make something with them tonight. This is what I came up with. I had fun doing the edge of the crust a little different style. It kind of looks like a quiche in this picture. * This sauce would be wonderful on pasta, rice or other whole grains. I did one pizza without bacon bits and 2 without. I thought my children would enjoy it. I liked the one without the bacon flavor.
Here is a recipe for whole grain pizza crust(I had a mix of whole grains in the flour brown rice, quinoa, spelt and wheat)
Sauce: (I made 3 pizzas)
*Prep 8 hours ahead or over night would be even better. Put 1 C of cashews pieces in 2 C of water. The longer you soak the better. It will make it creamier. I rushed it tonight and only soaked it 30 min. It turned out well, I think it would be even better if it had soaked longer. *
4 T butter or coconut oil
1 onion chopped up in pieces
1 14oz, artichoke hearts chopped up and drained and rinsed
2 garlic cloves minced
3 C cashew cream or 3 C half and half
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp lemon juice
2 to 3 tsp sea salt w/ iodine
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 C frozen spinach
1 T fresh basil
1 C of freshly grated Parmesan
*1 T whole grain flour for thickening if needed
Bacon bits 2 to 3 T per pizza
1. (Cashew Cream) The process for making the cashew cream. Soak cashews as long as you can or overnight. In 2 C water. After soaking is complete drain out the water and then add 1 C water while you blend in a blender till creamy. Set aside.
2. In a frying pan on the stove heat to medium-low heat and put in butter or oil. Pour in the onions and heat for 3-5 min till soft. Put in minced garlic and stir and cook for another minute or two.
3. Turn up the heat to medium to medium high heat and add the chopped up artichoke hearts and stir until lightly browned. Turn down the heat to medium low. Pour in the cashew cream or half and half. Continue to stir.
4.Then add zest, juice, salt, pepper, basil, spinach and 1/2 C grated cheese. Continue to stir and add 1 T of flour if needed to thicken. You want it to be a thick mixture before you put it on the pizza.
5. Heat oven to 400 to 425. Have it preheated before you put the pizza in the oven. Roll out pizza to desired thickness. ( rolled it out thin.)
6. Pour the sauce on to the crust. Then put on some grated cheese. I used about 1/2 C. of cheese between 3 pizzas. You can put on the bacon bits if desired.
7. I cooked the pizza right on the hot stone. Cook until lightly browned and cheese is melted. Serve it nice and hot.
*Cooked Chicken would be good on it too.
Here is another recipe with spinach and artichokes.