Monday, December 5, 2011

Basil Tomato Soup

My sweet friend Sherry gave me this tomato soup to try. It was nice to be able to make a great soup out of canned tomatoes. I was pleased how it turned out. A great meal for these cold nights we are having. It would make a great lunch too. It makes a lot, so if you are not feeding a crowd you could freeze some or, take some to a friend. :)

Tomato Soup
Saute in olive oil:
2 onions, sliced
4 garlic sections, sliced or chopped (if I use roasted garlic, I will use 10-12 cloves)
Add: 1 #10 can crushed tomatoes (really cheap at Costco) (if you use stewed tomatoes, drain, then blend with basil until coarsely pureed) (I used mostly fire roasted crushed tomatoes :)
2 Cups Chicken Broth (or water with thyme and salt)
1-2 large handful fresh basil, chopped or dried
pepper, freshly ground
salt if needed

Simmer for several hours, the longer, the better.
You may add cream if you wish, but I think it is delicious without.

Another delicious alternative is to roast your garlic ahead of time and any garden tomatoes and add those. ( I did use roasted garlic and I had 3 vine rip tomatoes I added as well.) Thanks Sherry for sharing your recipe.

Here is a recipe with fresh tomato soup

No comments:

Post a Comment