Friday, June 17, 2011

Whole Grain Homemade Hamburger Buns (Low gluten)

When I did this post, I talked about it being hard to find a healthy choice of hamburger buns. Next time you are in the store look at the list of ingredients in most of them. I have heard others say it is easy to make buns, yet I had never tried it. So when I was thinking about making dinner tonight. I decided on hamburgers. I realized I didn't have buns, so I came up with the brilliant idea to give them a try. I used the same basic recipe for the hamburgers as last time. I changed the meat portions to half turkey and half ground beef. I also cut up have a yellow pepper into really small pieces and put in in the meat. It tasted wonderful.

I was pleased to find how easy the buns were. They also had a really good flavor, and they are healthy on top of that. You can't beat that. I now know how to make hamburger buns. It is wonderful to learn new things. We laughed when my son grabbed to buns, and didn't cut them open. He thought that was how you were suppose to eat them. :) It is wonderful to have children around they keep us smiling. :)

These were tasty hamburgers. I had some wonderful tomatoes to put on them. They were the perfect shade of red, and tasted wonderful.

Ingredients: made 12 good size buns

1 1/2 C warm water
6 T oil ( I used olive oil)
5 T honey
3 eggs
1 T and 1 tsp yeast
2 tsp sea salt
5 to 6 C whole grain flour *(I used the mixture spelt, kamut, and oats. You can use 1 C white flour to help it hold together better )

Directions:

1. In bread mixer add water, yeast and honey. Let sit in the bowl 5 to 10 min to let it grow.

2. Then add oil, eggs, salt, and 3 C of whole grain flour (I used the low gluten mix). Then add more flour till it pulls away from the bowl. Knead it 3 to 5 min with the machine. The dough should still be sticky. Then let it rest for 10 min.

3. I then put oil on my hands and rolled them into balls. Then placed them on a greased cookie sheet. Let rise till double.

4. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees. For about 12 to 15 min., till a light golden color. I rubbed butter on top of them.

5. I put them on a cooling rack to cool. It also helps them to not over bake on the hot cookie sheet.

6. Slice and serve them, with your favorite hamburger recipe. You could use them with other kinds of meat too.

* I ground earlier this week 4 C spelt 2 C kamut and 1 C to 1/2 C of each oat groats, brown rice, and buckwheat, and you could use some white flour. You could use whole wheat flour, or 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white flour.

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking I want to try out making my own hamburger buns because I haven't been very happy with the ones at the store, either. Plus, I seem to have a talent for squishing every single package I buy so by the time I get them home they look like pitas instead of buns. :) I think I'm going to have to try making my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! The more things we make on our own the better. I agree with you, they squish so easy in the bags.

    ReplyDelete