Monday, June 13, 2011

Homemade Enchilada Sauce and Enchiladas

It is a wonderful new week. Today is a special day as well. It is my Mom's birthday. I am so grateful she is still around. I learn so much from her. She runs circles around me. She is an inspiration. I love her zest for learning and her concern for others. I know much of what I am is a result of her efforts. Happy Birthday Mom! I love You!

I am not a fan of the enchilada sauce in the can. So I like to make my own. I liked the combination of flavors in this sauce. You can add your own variation to this recipe. I love the Muir Glen brand of tomatoes. They add a wonderful flavor to my foods, when I use them.

Ingredients:

2 T butter or margarine
2 T whole grain flour
5 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
28 oz can fire roasted (Muir Glen tomatoes) puree in blender
1/2 water
salt and pepper to taste

Meat of your choice for filling
1 dozen flour tortillas or homemade
1 1/2 C grated cheese
Directions:

1. Heat a saucepan add butter In a sauce pan. Let it melt.

2. Stir in the flour with the butter, until it thickens.

3. Add the spices, tomatoes puree blend in with flour mixture.

4. Then add the water slowly keep stirring. Bring it to a boil.

5. Turn down to med. low heat and let thicken till desired consistency.

6. Grease square pan. Pour in small amount of sauce on the bottom. Spread to cover the bottom.

7. Then rip apart tortillas and make a layer over the sauce. Then add the meat, then the cheese and continue. End with the cheese on top.

8. Heat in 350 oven till cooked all the way through and cheese is melted.

9. Serve. with Salsa and guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment