Friday, May 6, 2011

Buckwheat, Oatmeal and Amaranth Hot Cereal




I have enjoyed this mixture as hot cereal a couple times. Lauri suggested that she puts coconut oil in her hot cereal. She said it gives and extra creamy texture, and I agree. I really like what the coconut oil adds to the cereal. I also like the extra bonus, the oil it helps it to not boil over. :) The combination of all the grains is wonderful. Think of all the nutrition you are starting your day off with. All combined in just one bowl. =)


Ingredients:
3 C hot water
2/3 C old fashioned oatmeal
1/3 C amaranth
1/3 C buckwheat
1 1/2 T coconut oil
*I have used quinoa as one of the grains too.
sweeten to your preference
top with cut up fruit, nuts, coconut etc...

Directions:

1. Put a medium saucepan on the stove. Then pour in all the ingredients. (It adds to the nutrition to let the grain soak for 15 min or more. It is not necessary though.) Then turn to medium heat, and cover with a lid. Stir occasionally. Let cook until all the water is absorbed and, completely softened.

2. Pour into bowl, add sweetener, and desired topping. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Cherie and Britney,

    We've selected you as our Foodista Food Blog of the Day for this May! Your blog for Buckwheat, Oatmeal and Amaranth Hot Cereal will be featured on the Foodista homepage for 24 hours.

    Since you are now a part of the Foodista Featured Blogger of The Day Community, we've created a special badge for you to display proudly on your blog sidebar. I couldn't find your email on your blog to send you the access code for the special badge, but I want to make sure you get it if you are interested. Please send me an email and I'll send it right away.
    We are really enjoying your blog and look forward to seeing your recipes, tips and techniques on Foodista! If you would not like to be recognized on Foodista please let me know and I will remove your blog from our queue.

    Cheers,

    Christine@foodista.com

    ReplyDelete