Friday, March 25, 2011

Whole Grain Tomato Basil Wraps

Today I had fun making some wraps, this time I tried them adding tomatoes. You can try this past recipe for wraps too. I loved smelling the garlic in them while they cooked. Yum! You could add some more herbs to them as well. There are lots of fun things you can put in them. (Meat. Cheese, egg, vegetables)
I rolled one up quick for my son with pepper jack cheese, turkey, spinach and some mustard. He really liked it. He thought they were store bought. (Mission accomplished! :)
This is what the mixture looked like prior to adding the flour. It was bright red before I added the leek. The red and green combo, made it more brown.
This was the about the size I rolled them into. I made some big and some smaller. It made about 12 wraps.
Ingredients:

1 1/2 C Roma tomatoes pureed (about 4 to 5 tomatoes
2 T fresh basil
1 T marjoram (optional)
1 leek chopped small pieces
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4  C olive oil
3 C whole grain flour ( I used this combination. 1 C spelt, 1/2 C brown rice, 1/2 C quinoa, 1/2 C kamut, 1/4 C buckwheat )
*olive oil for your hands when you roll them into balls

Directions:

  1. Put the tomatoes in the blender, and puree for a couple minutes. (It should equal to 1 1/2 C) Then add herbs, leek, garlic, salt and oil, pulse.another couple minutes.
  2. Pour the mixture into the bread mixer. Then knead adding 1 cup of flour at a time. The dough will be sticky. (Moist is better)
  3. Put oil on your hands, and roll the dough into balls. Let sit while heating up the tortilla maker. ( I have a chef pro)
  4. Then cook on tortilla maker according to manufactures directions. (I found with my tortilla maker, not putting too much pressure on it works the best.)

No comments:

Post a Comment