Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Whole Grain Vegetable Spinach Wraps/ Tortillas

Happy New Year! I have been busy with grand children this week. Which is a great thing. I was in search of new ideas for recipes. I talked to Jeanie, and she gave me a great idea of making spinach wraps. So I gave it a try, and this is what I came up with. It was a very exciting project, and gave me some ideas for the future. I was thrilled how they turned out. My family liked them too. Thank you Jeanie!

1. First I put about a cup of water in a sauce pan and then a colander, and then put the lid on and heated up the pan on medium high heat. I let it steam for about 8 min. When I was done steaming. It was about 1 cup. I then put it in the blender and pulsed it for a couple min.

2. This is what the pulsed mixture looked like.
3. This is what it looked after the flour was all mixed in.
4. I then formed it into balls. It made 13 of them.
5. This is the finished product.
6. I made 13 of them. I can use now and freeze some too. Sorry the color didn't turn out well.
This is the finished wrap ready to eat. It was good!

Ingredients:
3 C fresh spinach (was 1 cup after I steamed it)
1/2 C warm water (I used the water from the pan I steamed in. )
1 T fresh marjoram (optional)
1 1/2 T fresh Basil leaves (optional)
1/2 C warm water
2 peeled carrots
1 T dried onion minced
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 leek washed
1/4 C olive oil
4 C whole grain flour (I used 1 C spelt, 1/2 C qunioa, 1/2 C brown rice, 1/2 C brown rice, then I ground them in my grinder. Came out to 4 C.)

1. Steam the spinach for about 8 min until soft. Then Pulse in the blender with the water, for a couple minutes. Then add the herbs, carrots, onion, garlic powder, salt and leek. Pulse for another couple minutes.

2. Pour the mixture into mixing bowl , add the olive oil. Then knead and add the flour slowly. Until mixture pulls away from the bowl. It should be a nice soft mixture.

3. Then put oil on hands and separate into balls. I have found keeping the balls moist really helps.

4. Then cook on tortilla maker according to manufacture instructions. (I have a Chef Pro) You could roll out and try it on a frying pan.

5. I then made this guacamole. Spread on a thin layer of guacamole on tortilla, then put on a thin layer of fresh spinach, pepper jack cheese slices, turkey slices, purple onion and tomatoes and roll the wrap/tortilla. Success Enjoy! You can come up with your own variation. ;))

6. This morning I scrambled some egg with pepper jack cheese, and put into the wrap for a breakfast burrito.

7. Then I put turkey and cheese in it, for a wrap for my sons lunch. There are lots of ways to use the wraps.

* Sorry the lighting didn't work as well on some of the pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment