Monday, December 6, 2010

Tortilla Soup

I have found a trick that works well for me. I can make my on chicken broth. I can just cook the chicken in water and add my own spices. It saves a ton of sodium. I have also substituted the broth with water and just added extra spices to the mixture. I have been happy with the results. I am enjoying making more things on my own, instead of buying them in a can. When it is possible I do it. This was a tasty meal and was easy as well.

Ingredients: Serves about 4

2 boneless chicken breasts (I used 6 chicken tenders)
6 C water
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1 onion (chopped up)
4 oz green chili
guacamole*
shredded cheese
tortilla chips
Sour cream* optional
salsa * optional

Directions:

1. Boil the water with the chicken and add the spices, and onions. Cook until the chicken is cooked completely. It should take about 2o min. I then put it in the blender and did it for less than a minute. (Cut the chicken up if you are using breasts, before you put it in the blender.) The result was wonderful. It shredded the chicken wonderfully. I didn't want chunks of chicken. You can choose your preference.

2. Then simmer and add the green chili's and cook for another 10 min.

3. Pour in a bowl, break up some tortilla chips. (I had it without and it still was yummy) Sprinkle on some shredded cheese and then a scoop of guacamole. You could also add a spoonful of salsa and a dab of sour cream. It was wonderbar!

Guacamole
3 avocados mashed up
1 tsp salt
1 T dried onions
1/8 tsp chili powder
1 T lime juice

Mash up the avocados in a bowl. Mix in the remaining ingredients. This is one of our family favorities. =) We love it with tortilla chips. Yum! Enjoy! Avocados are good for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment