Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Golden Potato Vegetable Soup

I was riding in the car today and heard them talking about soups on the radio. I love eating soups of all kinds. I like to incorporate a lot of different vegetables into them. It's a great way to get the family to eat vegetables. :) They started talking about a potato leek soup and I couldn't resit trying it out. It is a perfect meal for a winter night. We enjoyed it. I served it with homemade tortillas, that I made into quesadillas. It was a great meal!


This is what the finished product looked like. I even made my own vegetable broth for the base. You can do that, or buy it already made at the store. Hooray for soup!

Ingredients:
3 C leek, chopped
4-5 C gold Yukon potatoes, cut in cubes
3 C vegetable broth*
3 C water
2 tsp thyme
small bunch of fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
2 T olive oil
1 T butter

Directions:

1. In big quart pan pour in oilve oil and butter. Turn on to medium heat. Add the leek and let simmer a couple minutes. (Make sure you wash the leek in all the nooks and crannies.)

2. Scrub the potatoes and leave the peels on. Cut them in to cubes. (I love the cooked skins on yukon potatoes--they aren't even noticeable.) Add to the leeks.

3. Pour in the water, broth, salt, pepper, and thyme. Let cook until potatoes are soft. About 20 minutes. Put on the lid. I left it on low till ready to eat. I added the fresh parsley about 5 min before serving. Enjoy!

*I made homemade broth by putting about 5 C water, 3 peeled carrots, half an onion (cut up), garlic clove. salt and pepper and simmered it for about an hour. Then poured the whole mixture into the blender. This made extra broth than needed for the recipe. I put the extra in the freezer for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment