Friday, January 21, 2011

Banana Blueberry Whole Grain Muffins

It is always fun to find a new kind of muffins to make. When I make muffins and other baked goods, I am working on reducing the sweetener and adding more spices. The spices add an extra boost to the flavor.
Blueberries are a wonderful fruit we can enjoy all year round. Thanks to frozen blueberries. I eat them everyday. Here are Some of the benefits in an abbreviated form. 1. Good for brain health. 2. Reduce heart disease 3. Help in Digestion 4. May reduce some forms of cancers 5. Helps to preserve vision. 6. Can be an anti-depressant. 7. Aids in reducing belly fat. 8. Highest antioxidant capacity of all fresh fruits. No wonder they are called a super food. =)
I love using my cookie scooper. It makes the muffins just the right size. This recipe made about 36 small muffins.
I like making the small size. My grandson loves it too. He can have one in each hand. =) The joys of grandchildren.

I made enough to eat some now, have some for lunches. They freeze great too. I think they taste even better the next day.

Ingredients:

2 ripe banana mashed
1 1/2 Kefir or plain yogurt
1/2 C honey (I reduced this to 1/3 C. you may want them sweeter)
2/3 C olive oil
4 tsp vanilla
5 C whole grain flour (I used equal amounts oat, kamut and spelt flour)
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon (heaping)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 generous C Blueberries

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 425 bakes in 8-9 min

2. Mix banana, kefir, honey, oil and vanilla together.

3. In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients together. Then combine with the wet ingredients. Fold in the blueberries gently.

4. Scoop into greased muffin pans. Place muffin pans in preheated oven.

* They were wonderful the 2nd day too. ;) They are a winner!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I love your blog, so many great ideas. Just a quick question, for this recipe is it 1 1/2 CUPS of yogurt? The recipe is missing the measurement. Thank you! I'm making these for a baby shower, the expecting mommy has gestational diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You so much. Yes it is 1 1/2 Cups of either yogurt or kefir. Hope your shower and muffins go well. :)

    ReplyDelete