Monday, November 22, 2010

Yummy Cranberry Creamy Salad! (gluten free)

First off this picture does not do this salad justice. The lighting was bad when I took the picture. This tastes soo good. It is up there as one of my Favorite salads. I have made it for Thanksgiving many times and it has gone over really well. It would look pretty sliced, and served individually, with a lettuce leaf under it. You could put it in a 5 C mold, and then serve it on a platter with lettuce under it. The other option is you could just serve it in a pretty bowl. I tweaked it to make it a little healthier salad. I cut down the whipping cream, sugar, and cream cheese. It still turned out great. I added dates this time which gave it a nice natural sweetness. Not everyone in my family likes dates, but I heard no complaints, only positive comments. The dates are cut up very fine. It was my favorite dish I made yesterday. You could serve this on a pie shell too. I think it would make a great pie. As I mentioned before I love cranberries. I love the way the cranberries balance out the sweetness. I hope you enjoy it too.

Ingredients:
1 C fresh cranberries, finely chopped (I did it in the blender)
1/4 C honey
2-3 clementines or 1 orange
3 T fresh squeezed orange juice* Optional (I didn't add this time)
4 oz neufchatel cheese
1/2 C plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1 apple, cored and finely chopped
1/2 C pitted dates chopped finely (I did it int the blender)
1/2 C chopped pecans * Optional (I don't add these.)
3/4 C Whipping cream

Directions:

1. Combine chopped cranberries and honey. Let this stand for 10 min. In a separate bowl peel and separate the clementines, or an orange. Cut the orange in tiny pieces. Set aside. Squeeze orange for juice if you are going to add. I didn't add juice this time both ways are good.

2. Beat together *Juice, cream cheese, yogurt and vanilla until fluffy. Stir in clementines or oranges, cranberries, apples and dates. In a separate bowl whip cream until soft peaks. Fold into cream cheese mixture.

3. Pour into the container of your choice. I used a loaf pan. (You could spray with non stick spray for easy removal.) Cover with plastic. Freeze until hardens. It can last up to a month in the freezer. I think best if done over night. You could also make it in the morning and serve at night. You could also eat it soft and not freeze it. That would be good as well.

4. Take out of freezer and unmold. You can garnish with lettuce and cranberries. Serve according to your preference. This will start to soften and melt, if left out more than 30 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment