Thursday, November 18, 2010

Almond Yogurt Chicken with Vegetable Medley (gluten free)

This was a variation of a chicken recipe with cracker crumbs. I decided to experiment and use almonds instead. It is a nice healthy meal. I loved how the chicken was nice and tender. It was funny to have my son sit down to eat it. He was wondering if it was fish or chicken. It was nice he enjoyed it. He came back for 3rds. =) I love when chicken is nice and tender and not dried out.

Ingredients:
Chicken
2 lbs chicken tenders
1 C plain yogurt
1 tsp basil
1 C almonds ground up fine
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp dried onions
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Vegetables
2 Carrots chopped thinly
2 Sweet Potatoes thin slices
2 Zucchini thin slices
1/2 Onion chopped up fine
3 garlic cloves minced
6-7 fresh basil leaves or 1 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp fresh marjoram or 1/2 tsp dried
2 T olive oil
1/2 to 3/4 C water

Directions:

1.(I had frozen chicken tenders, its easier to put on the topping.) Put yogurt on a plate or a bowl. Grind in blender: almonds along with the spices, salt and pepper. Grind till the almonds are almost powder. Then pour almond mixture on a plate or bowl.

2. Dip the chicken into the yogurt one at a time and then roll it in the almond mixture. Place in a 9x13 inch pan. I didn't even grease the pan. Cover each of them with the almond moisture. Place in preheated oven at 350. I covered it with foil and since it was frozen, I cooked it for about 45 min. Then took off the foil for about 10 min. It will cook faster if it is not frozen.

3. The vegetables can be sliced thin with a food processor. I have a vegetable slicer. I put the oil in the hot pan. I first cook the onion and garlic, till it was softened. Then add the remaining vegetables, and basil. I stir them and add about 2 T of olive oil. Then pour in the water. I don't want the potatoes mushy just soft. Be careful not to over stir. I put a lid on after adding the water and check until the vegetables are soft. I cook it on med-low heat. Then add spices of as desired and salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment