Thursday, September 30, 2010

Whole Grain No Knead Foccacia Bread

It was fun to make a whole grain Foccacia, and have it turn out great ! This is what the dough looked like after it had rested for 10 hours. The rest part is suppose to add to the flavor to the bread.
This is the step after the bread has raised. I then put Italian spices and olive oil on it.
This is the finished product. It was fun to use the green onion and Roma tomatoes from the garden. I was pleased that the tomatoes didn't make the bread soggy. I drained off the juice from the tomatoes after I chopped them up.

1 2/3 C Warm Water
1 1/2 C Spelt flour Mixture *
1 C Whole Wheat Flour (If you want to keep it gluten free use all Spelt Mix)
1/2 C white flour 
1/4 tsp Yeast
1 1/2 tsp Salt
Olive Oil
Italian seasonings
Toppings such as 5-6 Green onion chopped, 5-6 Roma Tomatoes chopped, Fresh grated Parmesan Cheese

1. In large bowl combine the Water, 2 C Flour, yeast and Salt. Stir until all moistened. Then cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature. 12- 24 Hours. I did mine for 10 hours it turned out great.

2. Stir in the remaining 1 C of flour, until all mixed in. I may have used a couple Tablespoons less than it called for. You don't want your dough too dry.

3. Line a 15 x 10 X 1 baking pan with parchment paper. Brush paper with olive oil

4. Put Olive Oil on your hands. Get the dough out of the bowl, rub the olive oil on to the dough off your hands. Then press into pan. I used a small roller I had to help roll it out. It was a very easy process.

5. Then let rest until nice and puffy. 1 to 1- 1 1/2 Hours. I did it less maybe 35 min. I wanted to get it done faster. It got puffy pretty fast. It will depend on the temperature of where it is raising. I put mine in my upper oven. While the lower oven heated up.

6. Heat the oven up to 400. You want the oven nice and hot.

7. After the dough puffs up. I pocked indentations in the dough with my finger tips, to make pockets for the olive oil. Then brush on the olive oil. Then I shook on the Italian spices.

8. I then cooked the bread about 10 min. then I put on the vegetables. I shook on some salt and pepper too. Then I cooked it about 10 min. Then I put on the Parmesan Cheese. Then let it cook till it was lightly golden, about 10 more minutes. Times are approx. You can try your own favorite toppings.

It was a easy process. Especially the mixing part. It is fun to know that I can make whole grain Foccacia. Hooray! Success!

*Spelt Mix I had ground 5 C Spelt 2 C. Kamut 1 C Brown Rice 1 C Oat Groats. I make extra and store it in my freezer till I need. It is best freshly ground. I like the convince of having some ready to go when I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment