Friday, September 24, 2010

Barley Pilaf

This was a nice side to the salmon we were eating for dinner. It was fun way to get the grains in with the meal. Doing something different than your normal brown rice. It tasted good as well. Easy!

3 C Warm Water*
1 1/2 C Barley Hulled*
1 T Chicken Seasonings
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Whole onion chopped small pieces
1 Small can of mushroom pieces (drained)
3/4 C Grated Carrots *Optional
4 Green Onions chopped in small pieces (The green part adds nice color)
1/4 C Finely Chopped up Almonds or Slivered Almonds

I used my pressure cooker (You could cook on the stove. Boiling water first or in a Rice cooker) I poured in the water, Barley, Spices, Mushrooms and Onions. I set it on 17 min on high pressure. Then let it sit 15-30 min. Before I opened it. Then I added the green onions and the Almonds.
Serve!

*You could replace some of the water with Chicken or vegetable broth.
* I didn't do the carrots this time.
* (Pearled Barley would cook faster but not as much nutrition. )

No comments:

Post a Comment