Monday, July 26, 2010

Pizza on the Barbecue

(It's not as greasy as it looks! I had to use a flash to take the picture.)

I have always wanted to make pizza on the barbecue, so when we got our new barbecue, I gave it a try. The results were fantastic! :) I made 2 kinds of pizza--barbecue chicken and pepperoni. I liked the way the crust was nice and crispy. My son-in-law raved about it and said it was the best homemade pizza I ever had made. That was nice of him. :) The crust didn't have any white flour and everyone loved it. I liked not heating up the kitchen too. I will do it again.

Crust

4 c. warm water
2 T yeast
1 or 2 T honey
6-8 c. flour mix (I used was 5 c. spelt, 1 c. Kamut, 1 c. brown rice, and 1 c. oat groats)
2 T olive oil
1 tsp Kosher salt

1. Mix all ingredients together. Add enough flour so the dough pulls away from the bowl. Knead about 4 min. I let it rise for an hour. You could do it for less time, just let it double if possible.

2. Preheat the grill. Roll out onto your greased pizza pan. I greased the dough with some olive oil to roll out. Put on sauce and toppings.

3. Get 3 cans about 15 oz size. (empty with labels taken off) Put them in a triangle on the preheated grill in the center. Heat to highest heat and then turn to medium high. I turned the two side burners a little lower. You will have to play with your grill to get it just right. Put the pan on top of the cans. I got this idea online and it worked great. My pizza cooked in about 10 minutes, but I would suggest checking on it sooner.

Sauce for Pepperoni Pizza


1 onion, chopped in small pieces
1 T minced garlic
1 T olive oil
2 15 oz cans of whole tomatoes
1 T Balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 T dried parsley
1 T basil or 3 basil leaves (I actually put in both because I love basil)
1 T pizza seasonings*

1. Cook the onions and garlic in olive oil in a skillet till tender.

2. Chop up tomatoes in the blender.

3. Add the remaining ingredients along with tomatoes to onion and garlic. Cook until nicely thickened. It turned out great.

*I found pizza seasoning in the bulk spice section at Winco. Optional.
*I usually opt for healthier toppings for our pizza. :)

If you are interested in the barbecue sauce pizza toppings and sauce that I used, see that recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment