Sunday, December 20, 2009

All about Spelt


Spelt is actually a member of the wheat family that used to be popular in the middle ages and is still eaten regularly in Europe. For an unknown reason, it was not as heavily planted in America, but because of that, it was not genetically altered like wheat.

Health Benefits:

  • High in fiber
  • Contains 10-25% more protein than wheat
  • Contains more B complex vitamins than wheat
  • Contains more simple and complex carbohydrates than wheat
  • Although it's a member of the wheat family, some gluten-sensitive people are able to handle spelt in their diet
  • High water solubility, so nutrients are easily absorbed by the body
What Spelt is great for:

I like to use spelt as a flour in my baking as a substitute for white flour. Spelt is not as heavy as whole wheat flour, so by mixing whole wheat and spelt together, I end up with a lighter loaf. I usually make a spelt mixture including 5 cups spelt, 2 cup kamut, and 1 cup brown rice flour and add that to my baking. You'll see it in a lot of my recipes.

Click here for my recipes using Spelt or my favorite Spelt flour mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment