Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cornmeal Muffins



It was exciting to find out that I could store popcorn and grind it into cornmeal. Popcorn has a longer shelf life, and keeps the nutrition longer not being broken down into cornmeal. Then you have the option of using it as popcorn or cornmeal. One oz of cornmeal has 3 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber. I think fiber is missing in many American diets. Which I think is adding health problems to our society. So much of our foods are processed and refined, breaking down important fiber that we need.

2 1/2 C. Yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 C. Soft wheat or wheat flour
3 T Honey, sucrant, or sugar
1 1/2 T. Baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 C. + 2 T. Butter milk ( I used 1 % and added 2 T vinegar and let it set for a few minutes)
2 Large eggs

1. Oven 375. You can use a 9x13 or 2 muffins pans. I used the mini muffins. I sprayed the pan with olive oil.

2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.

3. Beat the eggs and milk together in a small bowl.

4. Mix the wet mixture with the dry until moistened.

5. Put into pan of your choice. Bake 10-12 min for muffins. 20-25 for bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment