Tuesday, January 13, 2015
Vegetable Bean Soup
Here is another wonderful soup. It is loaded with vegetables and lots of flavor. You can decide what kind of beans you want to add to the soup. It is a great way to warm up on these cold days. It is also a wonderful way to enjoy a lot of vegetables.
3 T olive oil
1 onion chopped up
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 red chili seeds removed finely chopped *optional
1 boneless skinless chicken breast chopped up * for non- vegan option
4 celery stalks chopped
1 C chopped up carrots
6 C water
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/3 C chia *optional
1 14 Oz can of beans drained and rinsed garbanzo, northern, black etc..
1 14.5 oz whole tomatoes pureed in blender
Serve topped with cilantro, parsley or cheese for non -vegan version
*You can eat with tortillas or tortilla chips.
1. Put large cooking pot on the stove and turn heat to medium. Pour in the oil and let heat up
2. Add garlic and onions and let them cook until soft and light golden.
3. Add chili if desired and chicken for non-vegan version. Add 1/4 C water and let the chicken cook and turn light golden.
4. Stir in the celery, carrots, water, thyme, salt, pepper, oregano, and chia. Let the mixture come to a boil and then turn down and let simmer for 20 min until vegetables are tender.
5. Then stir in the tomato puree and beans and let simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Take off the heat and serve in soup bowls with desired toppings.
7. Store leftovers in airtight container in fridge or freezer. Enjoy!