Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Steamed Persimmon Pudding (Recipe from Grandma)

So I thought it would be fun to make a recipe my mom and her mom used to make. I think it is fun to keep recipes from the past going. It is so easy now to look things up on the internet and not make that phone call to Mom or Grandma and ask them for their recipe. So my challenge is to make a phone call and get a recipe from the past for this holiday season. To keep old traditions alive.

I did make a few changes to it. To make it a little healthier. I was pleased how naturally sweet persimmons are. Therefore you don't need to add as much sweetener either. Did you know persimmons health benefits? High in vitamin C also anti-inflammatory benefits. Here are some more benefits. 

This tasted really good warm with the warm sauce over it. Thank you Grandma and Mom for sharing some of the past with me and my family. This pudding reminds me of the verse. "No bring us some Figgie pudding..... " I always loved that verse even though I didn't know what Figgie pudding tastes like. :) This would be fun for a holiday gathering.

Persimmon Puree

Ingredients

4 persimmons
1/3 C honey
1/4 C coconut oil (melted)
1 egg beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 C Your favorite whole grain flour (I used kamut flour)
1/3 C ground chia *Optional
3/4 C milk (I used cashew milk)
1 C currants or rasins
1 C chopped walnuts  *optional

Caramel Sauce

1 C coconut milk
1/4 C honey
1 T coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla



Persimmon Pudding


Caramel Sauce


Directions  Heat oven to 350

1. Take stems off of the persimmons. Place in sauce pan with a small amount of water with lid on. Until they are soft when you prick with a fork. Take off the heat and peal off the skin.
2. Place persimmons in blender and blend until smooth, and should be 1 1/4 C puree.
3. In a bowl add the ingredients as listed. Stir until all combined.
4. Pour into greased mold. I used small mason jars. You could use a large container and cook it all together. You could also use ramekins.
5. Place the containers or containers you choose into a larger pan with water that goes up about 1/4" on the sides. (It helps to let it steam.)
6. Place into heated oven. Cooking time with vary according to size of container. Should be done in 25 to 30 min. When toothpick comes out clean.
7. While the pudding is cooking. Heat a small sauce pan on medium heat. Pour in milk, honey and oil. Cook and stir often until slightly thickened. Take off the heat and stir in vanilla.
8.  Drizzle sauce over the top of the pudding while its warm. You could also serve with whipped coconut cream, Whipping cream or ice cream.






No comments:

Post a Comment