Monday, October 6, 2014
Mexican Cornbread Salad (layered)
I made this yummy salad for my family yesterday. We enjoyed it as we watched LDS General Conference Yesterday. Its some thing we do twice a year. It is always a sweet time. The salad was a great addition and got enjoyed by all. I only have a little remaining for my lunch today. :) We also enjoyed a beautiful hike up in the mountains behind our house this weekend. The colors of the leaves are so pretty. I loved breathing the fresh air up there too. We live in a beautiful world. I hope that you had a nice weekend with your family or friends.
This salad has so many wonderful flavors in it. It is a great combination.
Ranch Cashew Salad dressing
1 C unsalted cashew pieces soaked at least 15 min *
1/4 C almond milk
1/2 C water
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
2 T fresh lemon juice
1/4 C dried parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
2 T dried onion pieces
1. Pour drained cashew pieces in the blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
2. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
* I put the cashews soaking in water in the microwave for 1 min. It speeds up the soaking process.
Layered Cornbread Salad
1 8x8 cornbread * Here is a whole grain recipe
2 cans black beans drained and washed
2 cans of whole kernel corn drained
2 1/2 C of cheese
2 C mixed salad greens
6 green onions chopped up
3 celery stalks chopped
ranch cashew dressing above or ranch dressing of your choice
5-6 Roma tomatoes chopped up
1/4 chopped cilantro
juice from one lime
Directions Feeds 12-15
1. Crumble half of the cornbread into the bottom of a large salad bowl.
2. Next layer spread evenly one can of the beans on to the cornbread.
3. Next layer one can of the corn spread evenly on the beans
4. Spread on the salad dressing evenly on top of the beans.
5. Spread around the celery.
6. Distribute half of the green onions on top of the celery.
7. Pour 1/2 of the cheese evenly on top of the celery.
8. Crumble the rest of the cornbread on top of the celery.
9. Spread around the mixed salad greens on top.
10. Spread around the other can of black beans.
11. Pour evenly the corn over the beans.
12. Pour on the remaining cheese over the top.
13. Spread the tomatoes on top of the cheese.
14. Then sprinkle on the rest of the green onions.
15. Garnish with cilantro. Squeeze the lime all over the top of the salad.
16. Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve or serve at once.