Happy Memorial Weekend. I hope that you have time to honor those who have given much to find for our freedom. It is also a sweet time to honor friends and family that have moved on too. Honoring their lives as well.
I had fun making this cereal this morning. It was a fun wist on the oatmeal. The toppings I used would be yummy with yogurt as well. Having hot cereal for breakfast is one of my favorites. It starts me off right. Add some blueberries to it and you have a great patriotic breakfast.
2/3 C steel oats
1 C water
2 T ground flax
1/4 C almond milk
1 T honey
1/2 C unsweetened coconut flakes
1/3 C almonds chopped
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp honey
dash salt optional
1/3 C raspberries or berries of your choice
1 tsp honey
2 T chia
milk for on top
Directions serves 2-3
1. If possible soak the oats the night before in water. If not put the water and oats in a pot on medium high heat. Let it come to a boil.
2. Turn down the heat to medium low. Stir in the flax, almond milk and honey. Let cook until the oats are softened. Stirring occasionally. In the meantime.
3. I used a flat skillet if you don't have one use a frying pan. Pour the coconut on the skillet and let it turn a pretty golden color. Take off the heat and set aside.
4. Pour on the almonds on to the hot skillet, oil, honey and *salt. Let them toast until light brown. Take off the skillet. Set them aside.
5. Pour the berries on to the hot skillet with honey and chia. Stir them and heat them up until they thicken. Take off the heat and set aside.
6. Pour the oats into the bowls. Top with berries, nuts and then coconut. Pour on milk on top. Enjoy!