Monday, February 4, 2013
Chapatis Indian flat bread
2 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C water
1 T olive oil
1 T oil for frying if desired
*optional brush with butter or coconut oil while hot.
1. In a bowl sift the flour and salt together.
2. Stir in the water and mix until it is a nice soft dough.
3. Knead in the oil.
4. Put on smooth surface. Oil your hands and knead the dough about 5 minutes.
5. Place in bowl with a small amount of oil and turn over the dough so the whole ball is covered with oil.
6. Let the dough sit covered about 30 minutes.
7. Divide the dough into 6-8 round balls.
7. Place each ball into your palms of your hand one at a time. Press between your hands. You want it to form a flat round circle.
8. Cover with plastic while you prepare the other balls.
9. Heat a griddle or heavy fry pan on medium heat. You can pour in 1 T of oil if desired.
10..Bake about 60 seconds on heach side or until it starts to bubble. Then turn over and bake on the other side for anothe 30 seconds. .
10. Place in between dishtowels to keep warm while you cook the remaining balls.
11. * You can brush with butter or oil if desired after frying. Eat while still warm.