Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Make your own Almond Milk



I love drinking almond and love the option of making my own. It always seems like a better option to make things by scratch if it is possible. It is nice to not have all the additives added to it. You can add some dates to sweeten it if desired,  I didn't want mine very sweet. I buy the unsweetened version. It has a shelf life of about 4 days. It can last up to a week. I have been using it with my kefir grains, and making almond kefir. It is tasty. I was pleased how creamy the almond milk turned out. It is a winner. :)

Ingredients:
1 C almonds
water
3 C water
*optional: 3-4 dates
*1/4 tsp salt
*1/4 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Cover the almonds in water and let soak overnight or at least 8 hours.

2. Pour off the water and put nuts into blender and then add 3 cups of water. Then turn blender on for a couple minutes until all blended smooth.

3. * Optional add a couple dates for added sweetness.

4. Strain the almond meal out with a fine strainer, or with cheese cloth. (I saved the almond meal and dehydrated in the oven on a baking sheet at low temp between 150-175 for several hours until all dry. I am going to grind it up in the blender, or you could use a food processor. I will  add it as "almond flour" to foods I am baking. I didn't like the idea of throwing it away. )

5. Store in the fridge. Normal shelf life 4 days but can last up to a week. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment