Monday, April 9, 2012

Brussel Sprouts

It is my birthday today! It is so wonderful to be alive and enjoying today! I am getting older and that is OK. My age is just a number--what is important is how I feel, not my age. I feel so grateful for wonderful parents who raised me and continue to bless my life, as well as family and friends. It is a wonderful time of year and it is great to be alive. I am 51 years old! Life just keeps getting better. I just had a wonderful vacation with my husband last week. :) I hope that you had a nice Easter yesterday. It was a beautiful day!

I made something for Easter dinner that I had never made before, Brussels sprouts! I ate them as a child and didn't like them so I have never made them for my family. That is one of the benefits of being the Mom! :)



http://www.lesliebeck.com/ingredient_index.php?featured_food=77
Great site with more info about Brussels Sprouts!

Well I am trying to expand the vegetables that I eat so I decided to give them a go again.You could eat this plain or add it to a salad, burritos, soup, stir fry, rice, etc...

Some of Brussels Sprouts benefits:
1. Excellent source of Vitamin A and C.
2. Especially good for your colon health.
3. High in Fiber
4. A rich source of sinigrin, which has been shown to prevent the formation of cancer cells.
5. Good source folic acid

Suggestions for care:
1. When you buy them they should be firm and a deep green, compact, no yellow, no soft spots, and not wilting.
2. Keep them in the refrigerator. Don't keep them for more than a couple days for best results.
3. You can eat them raw or cooked. Be careful to not over cook for best results. :)

Brussels Sprouts:
Ingredients:
2 lbs of Brussels Sprouts
3-4 T olive oil or grape seed oil
3-4 garlic minced
2/3 C water or broth
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp marjoram *optional
1 T minced dried onions
salt and pepper to taste preference

Directions:
1. Wash the Brussels Sprouts well and cut off the brown stems. Put a small amount of the Brussels sprouts in food processor or blender. Shred the Brussels sprouts and continue the process until they have all been shredded.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet.
3. Stir in the Brussels sprouts and the garlic. Cook until softened. (Should still be green)
4. Stir in the water or broth, and other seasonings. Place lid on and let steam on low for a few minutes. Serve!

Serving suggestions: You could mix with whole grains, stir fry, casseroles, burritos, soups etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment