Friday, January 27, 2012

Trail Mix Rolls

This has been a really nice week. It was our 29th wedding anniversary. Hooray! It is such a blessing to be married to a man that is my best friend. It is nice to be one with him. I feel like he really is half of me. I know I am a better person because of him. My dream is that our children will enjoy happy marriages as well. The two that have married have picked great ones. :) It is humbling when I realize what an effect my parents have had on me and continue to have. It makes me wonder what effect I am having on my children? I am reading a book that is wonderful about human relationships. (One of my favorite things to read about.)  The book talked about how our children watch us, and how much that effects who they are. It is a great reminder for me to think about ways I could improve. Having family is the best!  

We enjoyed these rolls this week. It was a power packed roll. They tasted great warm with a little butter on them. I am used to dense bread. When you use all whole grain that is what you usually get. I love it that way.
Ingredients:

1 C  warm milk (110 degrees)
1/2 C warm water (110 degrees)
1/4 honey
2 T unsalted butter
3 1/2 T coconut oil
1 T white vinegar (this helps whole grain to be lighter)
1 T yeast 
3 C g grain rolled oats
2 tsp salt (sea salt)
4 3/4 C whole grain flour*
1/2 C pumpkin and sunflower seeds toasted
1/4 C currants :) or raisins
1/4 dried cranberries or your favorite dried fruit.
2 to 3 T orange zest * Optional

Directions:

1. In bread mixture pour in milk, water, honey, butter oil, vinegar, yeast and rolled oats. I didnt even stir it I just moved the bowl around a little bit. Cover the bowl and let it sit at least 30 min. (You could let the oats soak the night before with the night before int the fridge in the milk)

2. Then slowly add salt. Add enough flour until the flour cleans the sides of the bowl, but it is still sticky. Then knead with the machine or by hand for 3-5 min. Then stir in dried fruit, nuts, orange zest, and knead another minute.

3. Rub oil all over the dough and let rise in a bowl until doubled covered.

4. Preheat the oven to 350. Rub oil on your hands and form the dough into rolls and place on greased cookie sheet or parchment paper. Place in oven and cook until golden. About 10 or 15 min.

5. Rub on some butter on the top if desired. Serve warm with butter and honey. :)     


* I used mixture spelt, brown rice, amaranth, and a little wheat.  It was at least 1/2  spelt flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment